The traditional dental crown procedure requires at least two appointments with the dentist and it usually takes at least a week to restore a damaged tooth. With CEREC Crowns Service this restoration can be done within one day and you’ll leave your dentist with your tooth and smile fully restored in just a few hours!
Traditional crowns versus same day CEREC Crowns Service :
Traditional crowns can be porcelain/ceramic or metal, or porcelain fused to metal. The outer surface of such crowns is usually porcelain for the purpose of looks and the inner surface is metallic for offering a better bonding to tooth.
- The dentist sends the impression of your tooth to the lab for preparing a customized crown for you. This process could take a few week and you need another appointment when the crown is ready.
- In the meantime your dentist will glue a temporary crown to protect your teeth until the permanent crown is ready.
- When the crown is ready, your dentist checks the fit of your crown, makes minor adjustments as needed and glues it to your tooth.
Same day CEREC crowns
CEREC crowns, also known as “single day crowns”, are made of ceramic and take full advantage of today’s Computer Aided Designing (CAD) technology. This technology has been perfected over the last 30 years. Because of this amazing technology, everything from tooth preparation to fixing the final crown is done in just a single appointment, avoiding the need of a temporary crown.
How CEREC technology works:
- Your dentist uses an ” intra-oral” camera to take several 3D images of your tooth. The camera is smaller than the point of a pen and is comfortable.
- Unlike traditional crowns, no impression of your tooth is needed.
- Your dentist designs a digital 3D image of your tooth and crown with precise measurements. After the final design has been created, a milling machine carves a replica of the design to make a crown out of a single ceramic block. It takes only a few minutes for preparing the crown. Then, your dentist glues it to your tooth.
There are many advantages to CEREC crowns, such as saving time because everything is done in a single visit, saving money since there are less appointments, and it is a lot more comfortable than putting up with the putty-like impression pastes.